Thursday, June 30, 2005

Battlefield 2

Dear DICE and EA,

Thanks for shipping Battlefield 2 with a almost completely broken server browser. Neat! I never know WHAT is going to work and what isn't. Now that's non-linear gameplay!

Refreshes take forever. When I type text in the columns to sort by that text (say, to sort for 16 player games only, or for servers that have UK in the title...sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Yay!

And the server filters...work when they want to. The "Not Full" one just DOES NOT WORK. I've tested it. It does not remove full servers. Well, maybe it does, because the reporting is so terrible that, if you're not getting server pings of 999 or 0, you're getting a list of full servers (many of which aren't full at all).

I'm surprised Gamespy didn't pull their logo from the product. The BF2 browser is the worst GS implementation I think I've ever seen.

Here's how I get in a game:
- Refresh the list of ranked servers.
- Sort by ping, lowest at the top
- Watch the string of "0" ping servers show up, then wait 5-10 seconds for them to actually REPORT their ACTUAL ping, which is sometimes an integer far in excess of 0.
- Start double-clicking server names, in order of lowest ping first, regardless of whether they say full or not. After doing this for about 5 minutes or so, I usually find a server that has a slot open.

When I actually DO get onto a server, the game is fun. However, getting to that server is to run a harrowing gauntlet of terrible design and broken features.

Thanks again! Love you madly!

Sincerely yours,
The Entire Gaming Community

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home